Sunday, June 16, 2024

Sponsors

Malloy Asks Federal Disaster Declaration from January Storm

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy has formally requested that President Barack Obama declare a major disaster in the Connecticut as a result of the Jan. 11-12 snowstorm—a move that could bring federal financial aid to cities and towns impacted by the record snowfall, his office said today.

Earlier this month, Malloy wrote to the Obama explaining the context in which his formal request would be made—one of the snowiest winters on record, coupled with a number of structure collapses across the state.  Malloy is requesting this declaration on behalf of all eight counties in the state, his office said.

Malloy’s letter was sent after the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the state Department of Emergency Management and Homeland Security (DEMHS) confirmed that expenses and snowfall amounts met FEMA established thresholds in most, if not all, Connecticut counties.

The preliminary damage assessment estimated eligible costs at more than $14 million.

“This aid is intended to begin to help meet the mounting costs associated with the historic snowstorm that hit Connecticut on Jan. 12, 2011 that stretched both state and local resources to and beyond the breaking point,” the governor said.

“My top priority right now is to provide all of the disaster assistance we possibly can to our cities and towns during these very tough economic times. I am hopeful that President Obama will act quickly on my request.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *