No one will comment on the record, but area health officials are relieved that the mysterious global respiratory disease that has claimed deaths and illnesses worldwide has not spread in southwest Connecticut.
Concern was raised when the state determined that an area resident who came down with a cough and fever last month after traveling to an Asian country experiencing the illness was likely the states first confirmed case of severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS.
The individual suspected of having SARS recovered without hospitalization, and there is no evidence that he or she infected others in the state, according to the state Department of Public Health.
The department has refused to disclose anything about those believed to have contracted the virus, including gender, age or hometown. But word that a southwest Connecticut resident was involved reached area medical officials who were asked to be especially vigilant about suspected cases.
Since the department announced the first suspected case last Monday, it has said at least two other suspected cases have been found in the state Җ a University of Connecticut student who is now listed in fair condition and another person who had traveled to Guangdong province in southern China and to Hong Kong.
That person is not seriously ill and is recovering at home, officials said, according to the Hartford Courant.