Saturday, February 24, 2024

Sponsors

Thursday, December 1, 2011


9 a.m. – Unitarian Church (10 Lyons Plains Road) – Y’s Men of Westport/Weston
10 a.m. – Earthplace – Sasco Brook Pollution Abatement Committee
10 a.m. – 4 p.m. – Westport Historical Society –  “At Home with Stone” & “The Wit & Wisdom of Frazier Forman Peters”
10 a.m. – 5 p.m. – Westport Arts Center – “On Duty: Odermatt, Metinides and Weegee”
10 a.m. – 2 p.m. – Gilbertie’s (7 Sylvan Lane) – Westport Farmers Market Winter Market
10 a.m. – Westport Public Library – Chef Nicole Straight, “More Time to Eat”
4:30 p.m. – Town Hall Front Lawn – Town Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony
5 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. – Christ & Holy Trinity (75 Church Lane) – Westport Downtown Merchants Association Community-Wide Celebration
7 p.m. – Town Hall Auditorium – Planning & Zoning Commission (live coverage cable channel 79, AT&T channel 99, and westportct.gov)
8 p.m. – Town Hall – Westport Community Theatre: “The Seafarers”

See more events:  Celebrate Westport Calendar

WestportNow Teardown of the Day: 108 Cross Highway

WestportNow.com Image
An application for a permit to demolish the house at Westport’s 108 Cross Highway is in process. Built in 1805-1806, the two-story vernacular, known as the Henry Munroe House, has 2,872 square feet and is situated on a 1.02-acre property. Westport Historic District Commission records cite it as “one of the few 19th century dwellings documented as being built by a free black. Henry Munroe, a farmer, purchased the parcel from John Burr in 1802 and in 1807, he conveyed the property ‘with buildings’ to his sons, Henry Jr and Alexander. The house first appeared on the tax rolls in 1806. In 1827, Alexander passed his interest to Henry Jr. Henry Jr, (died 1881) and his wife Phoebe were members of the Green’s Farms Church. His sister Amelia was the housekeeper for Peter Sturges who resided at 93 Cross Highway. After Amelia’s death in 1883, the house was sold to Peter Sturges. The west wing was added in 1969.” Because the house was built more than 50 years ago, the application will be reviewed by the Westport Historic District Commission. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Dave Matlow for WestportNow.com