Thursday, December 01, 2011
Buttons for this year’s First Night Westport/Weston go on sale today.
They will be available at the Westport Downtown Merchants Association’s nonprofit showcase and holiday celebration from 5 to 7 p.m. at Christ and Holy Trinity Church’s Great Hall, Church Lane. The event follows the Westport Town Hall tree Lighting at 4:30 p.m.
Other locations where buttons may be purchased include Oscar’s, 159 Main St., Westport Public Library, 20 Jesup Road, Westport Women’s Club, 44 Imperial Ave., Westport/Weston YMCA, 59 Post Road East, TD Bank, 111 Post Road East, 50 Charles St., Westport Center for Senior Activities, 21 Imperial Ave., Westport Historical Society, 25 Avery Place, and Weston Hardware, 190 Weston Road, Weston.
Buttons, designed by Westport artist Miggs Burroughs, cost $10 through Dec. 14 and $15 through Dec 31. Kids under 2 are free.
The Sundance Film Festival has selected a feature film, “Hello, I Must Be Going”—written by 1985 Staples High School graduate Sarah Koskoff and shot in Westport over the summer— for its 2012 competition and scheduled it for a coveted first day showing.
Selection of the the film, directed by Todd Louiso, who is married to Koskoff, was announced on Wednesday. It stars Melanie Lynskey, Blythe Danner, Christopher Abbott, John Rubinstein, and Julie White.
The festival said the film is about a divorced, childless, demoralized woman named Amy Minsky who at 35 is condemned to move back in with her parents. Her prospects look bleak – until the unexpected attention of a teenage boy changes everything, according to a Sundance announcement.
Much of the filming was done for three weeks in and around the Saugatuck Shores waterfront home of Koskoff’s parents, Michael and Roz Koskoff, with additional scenes shot on Main Street, the Westport train station, and Fast Fitness on Post Road East. (See WestportNow Aug. 1, 2011)
Elsie Dorothy Dickenson of Wilton, previously of Westport, wife of the late Dr. James R. Dickenson, died Nov. 28 at Norwalk Hospital, after a lengthy illness. She was 90.
Born in Pittsburgh, she was the daughter of the late Theodore and Elsie Allmendinger.
She was an art teacher in Pittsburgh, an administrative assistant for D&B, several attorneys, and a publishing company.
Survivors include her children, two sons, James R. Dickenson II, Theodore A. Dickenson and his wife Lisa; a daughter, Elyse Dickenson, and four grandchildren, Anastasia, Sarah, Catherine, and William.
UPDATE Westport police have reopened West Parish Road at Center Street after it was closed earlier because of a rollover accident.
9 a.m. - Unitarian Church (10 Lyons Plains Road) - Y’s Men of Westport/Weston
10 a.m. – Earthplace – Sasco Brook Pollution Abatement Committee
10 a.m. - 4 p.m. - Westport Historical Society - “At Home with Stone” & “The Wit & Wisdom of Frazier Forman Peters”
10 a.m. - 5 p.m. - Westport Arts Center - “On Duty: Odermatt, Metinides and Weegee”
10 a.m. - 2 p.m. - Gilbertie’s (7 Sylvan Lane) - Westport Farmers Market Winter Market
10 a.m. - Westport Public Library - Chef Nicole Straight, “More Time to Eat”
4:30 p.m. – Town Hall Front Lawn – Town Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony
5 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. - Christ & Holy Trinity (75 Church Lane) - Westport Downtown Merchants Association Community-Wide Celebration
7 p.m. – Town Hall Auditorium – Planning & Zoning Commission (live coverage cable channel 79, AT&T channel 99, and westportct.gov)
8 p.m. - Town Hall - Westport Community Theatre: “The Seafarers”
See more events: Celebrate Westport Calendar
An application for a permit to demolish the house at Westport’s 108 Cross Highway is in process. Built in 1805-1806, the two-story vernacular, known as the Henry Munroe House, has 2,872 square feet and is situated on a 1.02-acre property. Westport Historic District Commission records cite it as “one of the few 19th century dwellings documented as being built by a free black. Henry Munroe, a farmer, purchased the parcel from John Burr in 1802 and in 1807, he conveyed the property ‘with buildings’ to his sons, Henry Jr and Alexander. The house first appeared on the tax rolls in 1806. In 1827, Alexander passed his interest to Henry Jr. Henry Jr, (died 1881) and his wife Phoebe were members of the Green’s Farms Church. His sister Amelia was the housekeeper for Peter Sturges who resided at 93 Cross Highway. After Amelia’s death in 1883, the house was sold to Peter Sturges. The west wing was added in 1969.” Because the house was built more than 50 years ago, the application will be reviewed by the Westport Historic District Commission. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Dave Matlow for WestportNow.com