Quick Center at Fairfield University

Saturday, December 02, 2006

I’m Natalee, and I’ve Been Adopted

Natalee the cat needs a new home
Hi, I’m Natalee! (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Connecticut Humane Society

Shhhhhh! Natalee is sleeping right now so I’ll tell you a little bit about this precious girl. She’s a lovely 6-year-old spayed female domestic short hair. You can find her at the Connecticut Humane Society (455 Post Road East, (203) 227-4137). Natalee has been booted from her home because she wants to be the only baby in the house. Understandably, she’s a little sad and scared right now but is coming around and responding well to the TLC she has been receiving from the staff and volunteers. So, have you been missing the patter of little feet (or paws in this case) around your home? Please stop by soon to meet Natalee.

12/02/06 08:18 PM Comments () • Permalink

I’m Brimley, and I’ve Been Adopted

Beautiful black cat Brimley needs a home
Hi, I’m Brimley! (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Connecticut Humane Society

So, here I am hanging out in my litter box. To pass the time I alternate between my litter box and my pillow. Hi, I’m Brimley, a 4-year-old neutered male domestic short hair. You can find me at the Connecticut Humane Society (455 Post Road East, (203) 227-4137). I’m a quiet and friendly fellow that would make an excellent companion for somebody on the quiet side. I don’t need a lot of excitement in my life but I do like attention. I’m very willing to share my new home with another feline. See, I’m very obliging too. Please stop by soon to meet me.

12/02/06 08:08 PM Comments () • Permalink

I’m Browny, and I Have a New Home

Browny the cat needs a home
Hi, I’m Browny (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Connecticut Humane Society

Hi. I’m Browny, a quite lovely 4-year-old spayed female domestic short hair mix. You can find me at the Connecticut Humane Society (455 Post Road East, (203) 227-4137). I think before the cold wintry weather moves in you need to take me home. I’m extremely soft and would love to cuddle with you on frosty nights (mornings and afternoons too). When visitors come to the CT Humane Society, I do my best to get their attention. I’m oh, so friendly and come right to the front of my cage to say hello. So, come soon to meet me.

12/02/06 08:02 PM Comments () • Permalink

I’m Boom Boom, and I Have a New Family

Boom Boom the cat needs a home
Hi, I’m Boom Boom! (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Connecticut Humane Society

Hi. I’m Boom Boom, a beautiful 5-year-old spayed female domestic short hair, and you can find me at the Connecticut Humane Society (455 Post Road East, (203) 227-4137). I lost my home because my family decided not to bring me along to their new home. I know! Unbelievable! I’m a sweet girl, and I know your heart is going to go “boom boom” when you meet me. Please stop by to meet me and give me an ear scratch.

12/02/06 07:58 PM Comments () • Permalink

Learning About the McLaury House

The Westport Historic District Commission (HDC) hosted an open house today to enhance public awareness of the restoration plans for the town-owned historic Emily McLaury House at 99 Myrtle Ave., opposite the Westport Historical Society. The commission is seeking Board of Finance (BOF) and Representative Town Meeting (RTM) approval of funds to restore the building to its original appearance and rehabilitate the interior in a historically sensitive manner. Pictured are HDC member Morley Boyd (r) answeromg questions from (l-r) Selectman Bob Lasprorgato, RTM member Joanne Davidson, BOF member Helen Garten, RTM member Dr. Lisa Rome and BOF member Charlie Haberstroh.  (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Dave Matlow for WestportNow.com

12/02/06 07:47 PM Comments () • Permalink

Affordable Housing Summit Panelists Named

Westport First Selectman Gordon Joseloff has announced details of a “Citizens Summit on Affordable Housing” on Tuesday, Dec. 12 at 7:30 p.m. in the Town Hall auditorium.WestportNow.com ImageWestportNow.com Image
Selected: Dr. Floyd Lapp (l) and Rick Redniss are among panelists. Contributed photos

The meeting, which will be televised live on the town’s government access channel 79, will include a panel discussion with four experts on housing issues as well as an opportunity for audience comment and questions, he said.

The first selectman had earlier disclosed plans for the meeting but did not name the participants. (See WestportNow Nov. 20, 2006)

“I invite all Westporters and others to educate ourselves on how we can address the pressing need for affordable housing for seniors, young people, first-time homebuyers, and moderate-income earners including our police officers, firefighters, teachers and other municipal workers,” Joseloff said.

More "Affordable Housing Summit Panelists Named"

12/02/06 06:09 PM Comments () • Permalink

Merritt Parkway Accident Backs Up Traffic

Southbound traffic on the Merritt Parkway near exit 41 in Westport was backed up this morning by a rollover accident. Westport firefighters said a Shelton man escaped serious injury when his Jeep rolled over after hitting a tree. He told state police he was cut off by another vehicle. The driver, who suffered facial cuts and abrasions, was transported by Westport EMS to Norwalk Hospital. Assistant Chief Robert Kepchar said the driver was wearing his seatbelt and the car’s airbags deployed, contributing to his relatively minor injuries. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Dave Matlow for WestportNow.com

12/02/06 02:41 PM Comments () • Permalink

Repubicans Near Choosing Finance Vacancy Candidates

By .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)WestportNow.com Image
Gavin Anderson announces his retirement in October. Dave Matlow/WN file photo

Westport Republicans are moving closer to making a recommendation on who should fill a vacancy on the Board of Finance that will be created this month.

The opening is due to the retirement of R. Gavin Anderson, a Republican member, who announced in October he would step down by the end of the year. (See WestportNow Oct 25, 2006)

While board members will select the person to fill the vacancy, the Republican Town Committee (RTC) will make a recommendation of at least one person to fill the spot.

Pete Wolgast, RTC chairman, said the nominating committee has interviewed four candidates—some of whom attended Monday’s board meeting—and will make a final decision on recommendations this weekend.

More "Repubicans Near Choosing Finance Vacancy Candidates"

12/02/06 11:44 AM Comments () • Permalink

Into the Woods

A young male driver and adult male passenger escaped serious injury Friday night when their car failed to maneuver a sharp turn on Westport’s Charcoal Hill Road, off North Avenue, following the evening’s heavy rains. The vehicle crashed through heavy brush and finally stopped in a swampy ditch, narrowly missing contact with trees.  Neither the driver nor the passenger was injured. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Dave Matlow for WestportNow.com

12/02/06 06:42 AM Comments () • Permalink

A Tough Haul

Westport firefighters stand by as a wrecker pulls a car from a steep embankment after it went off Charcoal Hill Road Friday night. Neither the young male driver nor his adult passenger was injured. Firefighters had to clear heavy debris from around the heavily damaged car before it could be removed from the scene. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Dave Matlow for WestportNow.com

12/02/06 06:38 AM Comments () • Permalink

Coming in from the Wind

High winds moving into Westport on Friday meant kite surfers were out at Compo Beach battling the high tides on Long Island Sound. It was a struggle, though, to bring in the kites to pack up for the day. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Phyllis Groner for WestportNow.com

12/02/06 05:30 AM Comments () • Permalink

Saturday, Dec. 2, 2006

9 a.m. - 5 p.m. - Westport Public Library - Holiday Book Sale
10 a.m. - Westport Town Hall - 2006 Heida Hermanns International Piano Competition semifinals
10 a.m. - 4 p.m. - Earthplace - Evergreen Day
11 a.m. – 99 Myrtle Avenue – Open House for Board of Finance and RTM Finance Committee
1 & 5:30 p.m. - Westport Country Playhouse - “A Christmas Carol”
7 p.m. - West Haven - Ken Strong Stadium - Staples vs Bunnell in Class L football championship game
8 p.m. - Westport Community Theatre - “An Inspector Calls”

12/02/06 05:05 AM Comments () • Permalink

Friday, December 01, 2006

Severe Thunderstorm Warning Issued

The National Weather Service tonight issued a severe thunderstorm warning for Westport and portions of the tri-state area.

It said at 6:32 p.m. National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated a line of severe thunderstorms capable of producing destructive winds in excess of 70 mph.

These storms were located along a line extending from six miles northeast of Gardnertown to Chester to 33 miles west of Fairfield or along a line extending from seven miles southwest of Poughkeepsie to Goshen to 15 miles east of Phillipsburg and moving east at 45 mph.

A tornado watch remains in effect for the warned area. If a tornado is spotted, act quickly and move to a place of safety in a sturdy structure such as a basement or small interior room.

12/01/06 11:36 PM Comments () • Permalink

Staples Candlelight Concert Scheduled Dec. 8 & 9

A Look Back: The Staples Choir performs during last year’s Candlelight Concert. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Betsey Lebow/WN File
The 66th annual Candlelight Concert will take place at Westport’s Staples High School on Friday, Dec. 8 and Saturday, Dec. 9 at the high school.

Performances are scheduled for 7 p.m. on Friday and 7 and 9:30 p.m. on Saturday.

The Staples Choir and Chorale, Symphonic and Sophomore Orchestras and the Symphonic and Sophomore Bands will present an evening of holiday music.

Along with individual performances by each ensemble, all of the singers and orchestra students will join forces for the traditional processional off “Sing We Noel” and a community sing-along to Handel’s “Hallelujah Chorus.”

More "Staples Candlelight Concert Scheduled Dec. 8 & 9"

12/01/06 11:14 PM Comments () • Permalink

Tornado Watch Issued

The National Weather Service tonight issued a tornado watch for Westport and portions of the tri-state area. The watch is effective until 10 p.m.

An advisory issued at 6:10 p.m. said tornadoes, hail to 1 inch in diameter and thunderstorm wind gusts to 70 mph and dangerous lightning are possible in these areas.

The tornado watch area is approximately along and 35 statute miles east and west of a line from 30 miles north northeast of Poughkeepsie, N.Y.  to 30 miles east southeast of Allentown, Pa. This includes the Westport area.

A tornado watch means conditions are favorable for tornadoes and severe thunderstorms in and close to the watch area. Persons in these areas should be on the lookout for threatening weather conditions and listen for later statements and possible warnings.

12/01/06 11:11 PM Comments () • Permalink

Westport Prepares for Tonight’s High Winds

Connecticut Light and Power and Westport Public Works crews are on stand-by in case of any problems associated with today’s high winds.

A high wind advisory from the National Weather Service is in effect until 1 a.m. on Saturday, and winds of 25-35 miles per hour with gusts up to 60 miles per hour are expected.

First Selectman Gordon Joseloff said Connecticut Light and Power have extra crews on duty in case there are power outages, which could happen with high winds.

As of 5 p.m., there were no power outages reported in Westport by Connecticut Light and Power, but there was one outage reported in Weston.

More "Westport Prepares for Tonight’s High Winds"

12/01/06 10:58 PM Comments () • Permalink

Holiday House Tour is Sunday

Five Westport homes will be decked out for the holidays and ready for visitors on Sunday as part of the 20th annual Holiday House Tour sponsored by the Westport Historical Society.

The tour is at 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and includes two renovated antiques, a renovated farmhouse and a waterfront Victorian.

The after-tour cocktail party is scheduled for 4-7 p.m. at a 10,000-square-foot colonial manor and features speciality cocktails, champagne and caviar, live jazz music, hors d’oeuvres by Chef Pietro Scotti and a silent auction.

For tickets, call (203) 222-1424.

12/01/06 10:50 PM Comments () • Permalink

We’re Daisy & Frances, and We Found a Home

Frances and Daisy Cats need a new home
Hi, we’re Daisy & Frances. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Connecticut Humane Society

Hi. I’m Daisy, a beautiful, black and white, 6-year-old, spayed female DSH. The cute-as-a-button cat next to me is, I’m proud to say, my daughter Frances. She is a 4-year-old, spayed female DSH. You can find us at the CT Humane Society (455 Post Road East, (203) 227-4137). I’ve raised my little Frannie right. She is friendly and eager to please, just like her proud mom. Our former owner is moving and discarded us like an old couch. Hmmph! Well, I believe there is someone out there, you maybe, that is willing to adopt the two of us and provide us with a loving and warm home. We are quite close and need to stay together. I’m sure you understand. Please stop by to meet us. We’re anxiously waiting to meet you.

12/01/06 10:50 PM Comments () • Permalink

School Board to Vote on Maintainers Contract

By .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

The Westport Board of Education will review and vote on a new, four-year contract with the Maintainers Union, which carries a 4.87 percent salary increase, on Monday.

The information about the new contract was released with the board’s agenda information today. The contract covers eight maintainers.

In addition to the salary increase, the union members will increase their health insurance contributions from 13 percent to 16 percent over the life of the contract.

Schools Superintendent Elliott Landon said the maintainers do not have incremental increases built into the contract like the ones for the teachers and other municipal employees.

More "School Board to Vote on Maintainers Contract"

12/01/06 10:02 PM Comments () • Permalink

Going Down: 56 Easton Road

The house at 56 Easton Road in Westport’s Coleytown area was demolished this afternoon. Built in 1954, it was the WestportNow Teardown of the Day on Sept. 8, 2006. It sold in June for $735,000. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Dave Matlow for WestportNow.com

12/01/06 09:32 PM Comments () • Permalink

Celebrating His 90th

Friends and family today honored former state representative and Westport town attorney John Boyd on the occasion of his 90th birthday this month.  Boyd, shown cutting a cake with his wife Jean at the Westport Center for Senior Activities, was a key figure in the town’s 1960 acquisition of Longshore Club Park and in preventing Cockenoe Island off Compo Beach from becoming the site of a nuclear power plant in 1967. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Contributed photo

12/01/06 06:20 PM Comments () • Permalink

Student Enrollment Drives Budget Process

By .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Westport Schools Superintendent Elliott Landon hasn’t started preparing his proposed 2007-08 budget yet, but he knows enrollment will be a major influence on it.

The Board of Education and Board of Finance are slated to hold preliminary budget talks during a meeting Monday night, but Landon said the school board has yet to review a report on school enrollment projections.

The report is one factor in determining how many teachers are needed for the school year, he said, but he knows there will be about 100 additional students at Staples High School for the 2007-08 school year.

The last two school years, he said, more students have been arriving at Westport schools than anticipated, but he’s not sure if it should be considered a trend yet.

More "Student Enrollment Drives Budget Process"

12/01/06 11:42 AM Comments () • Permalink

Day at the Farm

Visitors to the Kowalsky Farm on Westport’s Morningside Drive were greeted Thursday by several animals, including a llama, who were seeking treats. More warm weather is predicted for today along with showers, possible thunderstorms, and a high wind warning is in effect this afternoon into evening. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Phyllis Groner for WestportNow.com

12/01/06 05:30 AM Comments () • Permalink

Friday, Dec. 1, 2006

8:30 - 10 a.m. - Shaw’s Supermarket, 605 Post Road East - Westport-Weston Health District flu clinic
10:30 a.m. - Noon - Stop & Shop Supermarket, 1790 Post Road East - Westport-Weston Health District flu clinic
1:30-3 p.m. - Coleytown Elementary School - Stepping Stones Open House
7 p.m. - Westport Country Playhouse - “A Christmas Carol”
8 p.m. - Westport Community Theatre - “An Inspector Calls”
8 p.m. - Seabury Center - Singers & Songwriters: Susan Werner / Guy Davis

12/01/06 05:05 AM Comments () • Permalink

P&Z Considers Denying Gorahm Affordable Housing Plan

By .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

All seven Westport Planning and Zoning Commission members said tonight they should deny a plan for an affordable housing in the Gorham Avenue Historic District and began discussing how to back up such a vote.

Red Coat Development has proposed to build 20 condominiums at the 1.5 acres at 296 Main St. and 5 Gorham Ave. Six of the units would be deemed “affordable” under state statutes. The application falls under the state’s affordable housing statute, which switches the burden of proof on a zoning decision to the commission.

Commission members said there is a significant need for affordable housing in Westport, but the plan presented was not the proper way to do it.

“We have a need for affordable housing in this town,” said Bruce Kasanoff, a commission member. “It’s critical and we need to do more. If I thought of the worst possible way to do it, (the application) would be close to it.”

More "P&Z Considers Denying Gorahm Affordable Housing Plan"

12/01/06 01:18 AM Comments () • Permalink

Playhouse is Toys for Tots Collection Site

Those attending the Westport Country Playhouse’s performance of “A Christmas Carol” will have the opportunity to donate to the Toys for Tots program through Dec. 23.

The playhouse is an official collection site for the program, which is run by the U.S. Marines Corps Reserve and collects new, unwrapped toys for needy children.

Over the 58 years of the Toys for Tots program, Marines have distributed more than 351 million toys to 166 million needy children.

Performances for “A Christmas Carol” are scheduled for selected Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 7 p.m.; Fridays at 7 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays at 1 and 5:30 p.m.

For ticket information, call (203) 227-4177 or 888-927-7529, surf to www.westportplayhouse.org or visit the box office at 25 Powers Court.

12/01/06 12:25 AM Comments () • Permalink

Dogs Day

With temperatures in the 60s today, people brought out their dogs to play at Westport’s Compo Beach. Warmer temperatures are expected for Friday, but rain is also in the forecast. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Phyllis Groner for WestportNow.com

12/01/06 12:11 AM Comments () • Permalink