Westport Young Woman's League CraftWestport, November 4-5, Staples High School

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

WestportNow Teardown of the Day: 57 Center St.

57 Center Street, Westport, CT 06880
Westport building officials received an application for a permit to demolish the home at 57 Center St. in the Greens Farms area. Built in 1900, the 1-3/4 story colonial-style clapboard house has 1,891 square feet and is located on a 0.55-acre property. The Historic District Commission must review the application because the house is more than 60 years old. The HDC can vote to delay demolition for 90 days. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Dave Matlow for WestportNow.com

Posted 10/31/07 at 07:08 AM  Permalink

Comments

HDC, delay, delay!  Indefinitely!  Let us preserve these old homes!

Posted by Jim Barber on October 31, 2007 at 12:40 PM | #

Oh my, this is a lovely house inside!  I remember visiting my friend Jan Gulick many times in her gracious old home, and it would be such a shame to have it torn down.  It’s in the woods, with rooms that lead from one to another as many historic homes do that are 107 years old.  This is a keeper.

Posted by Longtime Westporter on October 31, 2007 at 02:59 PM | #

As near as I can tell, title to 57 Center Street passed from the [Estate of] Janet Gulick to James Gulick [her son?] in 2004, and a series of tax liens since then perhaps indicate a need to sell or develop the property.

Can someone determine who filed the demo permit?

Posted by Jack Whittle on October 31, 2007 at 06:25 PM | #

Another fatality in Green’s Farms!!!

I have been a resident for over 20 years in GF and I am dismayed by the continual destruction of lovely and charming homes like this one on Center Street.

A few years ago, I chose to add on to my Cape style home instead of choosing the option of selling and risk creating another tear down opportunity.

There goes the neighborhood.. the charm.. and the Green’s Farms I use to know.

Posted by MaryAnn Meyer on November 02, 2007 at 01:57 AM | #

Yes, “Jay” is Jan Gulick’s son, and I do feel for a relative selling a property.  But if the regulations are changed so that a buyer can easily renovate an older house without all the expense and hassles, and if a buyer of a historic house can’t destroy the outside appearance, the teardowns will slow down.

Posted by Longtime Westporter on November 02, 2007 at 04:22 AM | #