Westport Country Playhouse presents ROMEO & JULIET, October 31-November 19
Westport Young Woman's League CraftWestport, November 4-5, Staples High School
Quick Center: Compagnie Hervé Koubi in What the Day Owes to the Night Breathtaking, gravity-defying dance that transcends. Thursday  October 19  2017 8:00 P.M.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

WestportNow Teardown of the Day: 48 Myrtle Ave.

Westport building officials are considering a demolition application for the house at 48 Myrtle Ave. at the corner of Evergreen Avenue.  Built in 1929, the 3,493-square-foot house is situated on a 0.75 acre property. It is on the Historic District Commission agenda for its June 12 meeting. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Dave Matlow for WestportNow.com

Posted 05/30/07 at 11:44 PM  Permalink

Comments

This is crazy. The house was sold in May of 2002 for $1,650,000. And now they want to tear it down?!?

But I should not be so harsh. Vision Appraisal and Assessor’s only have an appraised value of $1,202,900.00 (there is something wrong with that too, but that is for another thread).

Posted by Matt Murray on May 31, 2007 at 12:02 AM | #

That’s not so bad, 48 Turkey Hill South was listed for $9,000,000. and supposedly sold for between 7 and 8 million. However, the town assess’ it for $2.54 million and if you want to see even greater disparities between market value and tax appraisals check out the ones on Beachside Ave.

Posted by John Raho on May 31, 2007 at 01:16 AM | #

Just look at how beautiful this house is. I believe this is the house that just redid the front lawn and fence. If these folks don’t like it, then sell it to someone who would and build elsewhere.

This property is in the center of town and represents the character of Westport. This is a shame.

Posted by Matthew Mandell on May 31, 2007 at 01:32 AM | #

You are correct sir!

Posted by John Raho on May 31, 2007 at 01:35 AM | #

What a tragedy that someone would consider tearing down such a beautiful home, so nicely restored and maintained.

Posted by Susan Schmidt on May 31, 2007 at 01:57 AM | #

I was looking for “April Fools” at the end of this story. Unbelieveable. There are many houses on the market where you can do a teardown. Better yet, there are numerous McMansions sitting around with for sale signs on them. Why not just buy one of them and save this house and save yourself the trouble?

Posted by Michael Ronemus on May 31, 2007 at 02:32 AM | #

In the quick access I have, it sold in December 1998 for $656,000. That was before renovations. Then in the May ‘02, post renovations.

Posted by Matt Murray on May 31, 2007 at 02:50 AM | #

To clarify 48 Turkey Hill. It was on the market last year for $8.995 MM. That was for all four acres of land. The town assessment was $3.2 MM.

It was relisted this year $4.5 MM with an assessment of $1.777 MM, but only had two acres of land. This property has not closed.

The celebrity factor *may* have some influence on its sale price.

The town could still look into it after it closes and see if an adjustment would be appropiate.

Posted by Matt Murray on May 31, 2007 at 02:59 AM | #

The idea of tearing down 48 Myrtle Ave. just sickens me.  This is such a unique house, and the owners who renovated it did so with tremendous care and a deep love for the house.

The people who renovated it brought in reclaimed building materials from all over New England.  If I remember correctly, it was featured in a magazine because the renovations were so extensive and so meticulously appropriate to the age and style of the house.

I showed this house many times when it was on the market in 2002, and it is an absolute jewel!  Four fireplaces, hand-hewn beams, 10-foot ceilings, custom moldings, lighting and cabinetry.  The handcrafted custom kitchen is utterly charming - not to mention state of the art - and the entire house is elegant and filled with special artisan touches that the previous owners obviously put a lot of thought into.  They POURED money into this house - and now it’s going to wind up in a heap, with some garbage new construction in its place?

I just can’t believe that anyone would want to tear down this wonderful, much loved house.  If they don’t like it, they should sell it to someone who does.  It has not been on the market, and the news of its demise is clearly sending shock waves through the community.  I was literally stunned to see it in today’s Tear Down article.

I hope these people will rethink their plans and let something of aesthetic and historic value actually stand in this town.  There are plenty of other properties on which to build new.  It doesn’t take destroying one of Westport’s few classic arts & crafts homes that was restored and renovated to perfection.

If people in this town keep tearing down antique and vintage homes, Westport is going to end up looking like every other suburb in the country. Yuck!  This house is worth saving!

Posted by amy ancel on May 31, 2007 at 06:15 AM | #

They ruined the original house when they “renovated”.

Posted by Anne Tetenbaum on May 31, 2007 at 01:22 PM | #

I just drove passed the house this morning as I do every morning. Yup that’s the one I thought it was. I am amazed that anyone would tear this house down. This is not a 50’s ranch, this is a unique home. One that seems to have been restored with great care.

The HDC will be meeting on the 12th. I urge those interested in preserving the character of this town to attend and speak. Hopefully the owners will hear what is being said and look for other options.

Posted by Matthew Mandell on May 31, 2007 at 01:42 PM | #

Several years ago the owner called me on a Thursday night to say that she was getting married on Saturday, there had been a mixup with the JP, and asked if I could perform the ceremony. When I heard the marriage was to take place at 48 Myrtle I jumped at the chance. I had always admired the house as I drove by, but admiration turned to love when I spent time inside the house. The interior is small, by today’s gargantuan standards, but it is gracious and very comfortable. I like porches and the front porch is a gem as you look over a sweeping lawn to a busy, but very interesting street.
I love that house. I will be very upset to see it feel the wrecker’s ball.

Posted by Wally Meyer on May 31, 2007 at 02:09 PM | #

Did we not learn a valuable lesson from the devastating architectural loss of the Micheels House which was razed in January to make way for a ubiquitous McMansion? It just seems any person with too much money and too little taste can permanently hurt the character of the town to satisfy his/her nouveau riche taste. People, c’mon. If action is not taken this house will end up like the Micheels House: Gone forever.

Posted by jon selleca on June 23, 2007 at 07:27 PM | #