Wednesday, October 01, 2003
Westport Firefighters Respond to Propane Gas Leak
Landscapers accidentally damaged an underground propane tank valve today at a Town Crier Lane residence in the Coleytown area of Westport, fire officials said.
The tank released propane into the air for about 30 minutes before firefighters could shut it down. There were no injuries.
An engine company from the Coleytown fire station happened to be on a public education session at the nearby St. Paul Lutheran Church on Easton Road when the accident happened and summoned additional units shortly before 11 a.m.
Firefighters set up a protective water spray to help dissipate the propane gas cloud,.
At 11:25 a.m., fire offiicals reported that they had stemmed most of the leak from a damaged relief valve and were awaiting gas company representatives to transfer any remaining propane.
Police diverted traffic from Easton Road in the area while firefighters worked to control the leak.
A Fairfield engine company responded on a mutual aid call to provide additional Westport coverage while the Westport units were tied up at the Town Crier Lane incident.
The last fire unit left the scene shortly after 1 p.m. with the situation reported under control.
Posted 10/01/03 at 02:08 PM Permalink