Quick Center at Fairfield University

Monday, October 31, 2011

Trick or Treat Time, Storm or No Storm

Trick or treaters were out in force in Westport neighborhoods late today despite town officials urging that the Halloween rite be postponed until Saturday because of potential dangers caused by downed trees or power lines. This was the scene in the busy Compo Beach area. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Phyllis Groner for WestportNow.com

Posted 10/31/11 at 10:27 PM  Permalink

Comments

Oh the horror and danger of being outside!

Posted by Paul S Greenberg on October 31, 2011 at 10:32 PM | #

Well, the Trick or Treaters just moved to Compo.
Gave out over 1800 candy bars before dark.

Posted by Diane Cady on October 31, 2011 at 10:52 PM | #

You know if someone did get hurt or worse, our town would be blamed all day long about not advising us properly about the dangers..If something does happen it will be very sad!...and if nothing happens people will say, see it was fine nothing happened the town officials were wrong..I always error on caution..guess I am a goody, goody~ We pay taxes for them to serve and protect..I will let them serve and protect!-Holly Maybruck Westport, CT

Posted by Martin Maybruck on October 31, 2011 at 11:10 PM | #

Just got back from trick or treating- if anything, more people were out than on a usual Halloween, which is more civil disobedience than is typically seen in Westport. Only problem is now my kids want to do it all over again on Saturday.

Posted by Paul Bradshaw on November 01, 2011 at 12:25 AM | #

Better safe than sorry?!...the town was covering their A** but at 2pm…they are hardly covering much! Kids are usually out by 5.  2pm is what I am upset about…the night before or at 7am would have at least given people time to plan.  Some of the older people on our street didn’t even get the message! Trees fall down everyday…but nobody tells a whole town to stay inside, don’t get the mail, don’t walk the dog… If there was really a safety issue…then an curfew should have been imposed! I am not really buying the entire thing! I have heard from “people” that officials didn’t want neighboring closed towns to impose on Westport…is that true?

We had a GREAT time!  Even more fun being a little naughty! and by the open doors and trick or treaters out…we were not alone. (we didn’t even go to the beach…felt too bad for those guys..they were mobbed!)

Posted by Ann McLean on November 01, 2011 at 03:48 PM | #

The problem is that now that the town officials have made themselves look ridiculous, by issuing a “recommendation” that was obviously over-cautious and was widely ignored. By crying “wolf” like this they will have less credibility in any real future emergency situation.

Posted by Paul Bradshaw on November 01, 2011 at 04:04 PM | #

You know…I have no problems with postponing Halloween in advance, or warning the families to take precautions, ie. don’t enter closed streets, etc. What bothers me is the late notice when we were not even expecting that there would be a concern (school was not cancelled.)  Shock and horror was visible when the kids learned of this news when getting off the bus at 3:40!! Not cool with anyone I spoke to last night..just not cool! Kids of all ages had parties etc..it was a little chaotic!
We chose to go out anyway (via car)..all fat and happy…and DONE!! Oh so DONE!!

Posted by Anne Spencer on November 01, 2011 at 05:53 PM | #

I had an awesome childhood growing up in Westport.  I’ve always loved this town and am very excited that my parents have decided to stay.  I now bring my own family here occasionally to visit and usually they also enjoy it.  With the power out (we currently live in the greater Danbury area) we have been staying at my parents on South Compo. Naturally as a kid I would always trick or treat down in the compo beach neighborhood so we took the kids there last night.  Frankly I was appalled with how the other children handled themselves and WORST OF ALL how the PARENTS handled themselves.  Children were cutting in line, making racist comments when visiting an ethnic home, trying to take more candy than they were they were suppossed to.  Then the most ridiculous thing was that many parents were drunk!  Walking around with wine glasses and beer, bumping into kids without any remorse or apology, making condescending remarks about the fact that our kids were using plastic shopping bags.  It really hit home folks, this town has changed, a lot.  I always thought Halloween was a time for the kids to have fun, show off their costumes, and get candy, not for the adults to get drunk on each others artesian wines (that most were complaining about anyway.) Unreal! Where did this 1% come from?  There were certainly a few nice people down there but the vast majority were impolite, self centered, and lame.  Oh yea, when we were leaving we suddenly realized we were blocked in by a Mercedes SUV hahaha.  I couldn’t believe it.   A nice family in a Honda family van moved in a way so we could get out.  Btw, Vani Court was awesome. Very polite, told the kids “your welcome” when they would say “thank you,” had some fires going,  let the kids take handfuls of candy.  It was a pleasure.  The Compo beach crew was quite different.  Happy Halloween all!

Posted by Nick Vogt on November 01, 2011 at 09:28 PM | #

I continue to be speechless on this subject, but feel I must try to put my thoughts into words.  The town makes a decision to postpone Halloween - and it’s viewed as some catastrophy.  Are our kids so unable to deal with change or disappointment - or should, dare I go ahead and say it - spoiled rotten and used to getting their own way - that they can’t wait a few days to go trick or treating?  and what kind of message are we sending our children if we “proudly” take them any way?  The Chief of Police and the Fire Chief think it’s unsafe - but we’re going any way kids.  We’re “entitled!!!”  And who is going to save your kids butt if s/he steps on live wire???  And who are you going to sue?  I am appaulled.  I told my 13 year old (in the words of all of our collective mothers’) “you’ll live!”  Gime a break.  It’s embarrassing.

Posted by Tracy Flood on November 02, 2011 at 01:42 AM | #

Yes, your 13 year old (13) will live! Ummmm, you said 13 year old right?  (pause for moment of silence while I ponder that)  Do you think the point is…they all went to school!...bus stop, etc? right? and the town notice was overly late! Some didn’t even know about the notice. Is confusion really acceptable?  Personally I am not embarrassed..I have no problem with how I raise my good/well behaved/non-wilding/non-racist children. My kids actually still “take one” when they see an un attended bowl at a door. Tracy, I totally agree with you..if my 13 year old complains about not trick or treating…I would also say “you’ll live!” That is really funny.

Posted by Ann McLean on November 02, 2011 at 02:56 AM | #

Tracy, it isn’t that the children are ‘entitled’ or ‘spoiled’, it has to do with lack of leadership and an unrequired cancellation of Trick a Treating at the last minute. If indeed it was dangerous, then why was school open or not delayed?
Fact is, the day turned out very nice and the evening temperatures were mild and seasonable and the whole town was not without power or dangerous. Compo Beach area was fine, as were most neighborhoods.
Had the decision been made sooner, say by mid-day Sunday, then parents and children could have planned around it (and this is the lack of leadership). However, the decision wasn’t made until only a couple of hours before the kids were to head out and this certainly isn’t enough time for many parents to even become informed, no less tell their kids Halloween is off.
As it was, kids were already Trick a Treating and coming to our door. Do you think I could tell my kids (10, 7 & 2-1/2) they couldn’t go because the mayor cancelled it?! They would ask why? And since there was no downed power lines or trees, and other children were already out, how could I defend a bad decision and go along with it? Needless to say we went out and will again on Saturday!
Now if a neighborhood was dangerous, due to downed power lines or trees blocking the road, etc. Then I agree those areas should be avoided, but I’m sure every parent has the good sense to realize where those dangers are and avoid them. They didn’t need a last minute decision to cancel it and create confusion and disappoint to young kids who were already excited and thinking about it all day.

Posted by John Raho on November 02, 2011 at 03:17 AM | #

Yes John! That is indeed the point! YES!!!

Posted by Ann McLean on November 02, 2011 at 03:21 AM | #

Ann and John – I don’t know how old your child(ren) is/are – but I do know that at any age it’s disappointing to have to be told that Halloween is postponed a few days.  At 13 my daughter’s concern was that her last year of trick or treating was going to be ruined.  But even for younger kids, there are many ways of helping them learn to cope with things that go wrong in life. The cliché’s about how lucky we truly are compared to most people in the world are still very true.  Even a 5 year old can understand that it’s not the end of the world to go trick or treating a few days later.  As for the timing – I agree it could have been earlier – but since so many towns had postponed trick or treating I checked my e-mail throughout the day figuring we would make the same decision – err on the side of safety.  At the middle schools, the kids knew before we did!

For me it comes down to teaching our children to respect the police and firefighters who are charged with their safety.  We may not always agree with every decision, but it seems in this instance that the benefits way out weighed any downside.  Plus it won’t be a school night, so the kids can sleep in the next day!

As for not canceling school – it’s very different to stand at a bus stop with your parent who will make the decision to drive you if it’s unsafe, versus walking the streets in the dark with trees and power lines down.

The uproar just seems vitriolic and maybe has more to do with politics than anything else.

Posted by Tracy Flood on November 02, 2011 at 03:42 PM | #