Wednesday, August 29, 2007
A short circuit in an electrical strip touched off a fire alarm early today at a Starbucks coffee shop on Westport’s Post Road East, fire officials said.
There was no fire and no damage other than to the power strip, according to Assistant Chief Robert Kepchar.
He said the department responded to the store at 925 Post Road East at 2:26 a.m. on an automatic alarm and once inside found a heavy odor of plastic burnng.
Using thermal imaging cameras, the firefighters found a shorted electrical power strip in a small puddle of water as the source of the odor, Kepchar said.
“Firefighters observed that several electrical power strips were being used in tandem to accommodate their electrical need,” he said.
The power strips were disconnected and a manager responded to the scene. The last Fire Department unit left the scene at 4 a.m.
The Westport Fire Marshal’s Office reminds residents and business owners to use power strips in the way they were designed to be used.
Power strips should always be plugged directly into a wall outlet, a news release said. Sufficient electrical outlets should be provided to accommodate the needs.
Posted 08/29/07 at 11:47 AM Permalink