Since 1898, Lux Bond & Green Jewelers has been dedicated to offering truly extraordinary diamonds, jewelry, watches and gifts for the home.
Buy your tickets now, Stand Up for Homes with Hope, Hasan Minjaj, November 4, 2017
Quick Center at Fairfield University
Your 24/7 News Source

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Smokey Fire at Transfer Station

Firefighters Wednesday night quickly extinguished a fire in some garbage at the Westport transfer station on Sherwood Island Connector, officials said.WestportNow.com Image
Westport’s tower truck was used to put out Wednesday night’s fire at the Sherwood Island Connector transfer station. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Westport Fire Dept. photo

No one was injured in the 7:30 p.m. blaze that originated in dumped garbage, and was contained to one of the station’s compactor units, according to Assistant Chief Larry Conklin.

On arrival, firefighters found heavy fire in the garbage pit held in check by the building’s deluge sprinkler system, a press release said.

Smoke belched from the building and the initial fire attack crews said there was zero visibility inside the structure, the release said.

Fire crews deployed the aerial platform from its ladder Truck 1 inside the building and put out the fire using its large volume water nozzles, officials said. Damage was limited to the garbage.

Acting Fire Marshal Edward Zygmant said that ignition was probably caused by hot ashes or oily rags improperly disposed of in the pit.

“We get fires here two or three times a year,” Zygmant said.

“People are supposed to dispose of their ashes in the metal barrel provided next to the disposal pit, but if they are careless and toss them in the compactor along with combustible garbage we end up with a roaring trash fire.”

Zygmant said trash fires are particularly dangerous for firefighters because of items such as aerosol cans that can explode and cause injuries.

The Fire Marshal’s office urged all residents who use the transfer station to make sure ashes are cold and to dispose of them in the metal ash can.

Improper disposal of ashes has also caused house fires in Westport, the release said.

Ashes should be secured in a metal can with a lid well away from any combustible surface, including placing the can on exterior wooden decks, according to fire officials.

       Share

Posted 03/30/06 at 04:59 PM  Permalink



Comments

You must have a Facebook account and be logged to this account (login/logout button above) to post comments. Comments are subject to our Comment Policy.

Next entry: King of the Hill

Previous entry: All Gone: 19 Evergreen Parkway