Westport Young Woman's League CraftWestport, November 4-5, Staples High School
Quick Center at Fairfield University

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Seatbelt Helps Merritt Motorist Avoid Serious Injury

Firefighters are crediting use of a seatbelt and airbags for helping a driver avoid serious injury early today in a one-car rollover on the Merritt Parkway near Exit 42 in Westport.

The department said they received a call about the accident at 1:25 a.m. about a mile north of Exit 42. On arrival, they found a car which had been southbound had crossed over the median and rolled over.

The southbound driver, who was not identified, narrowly missed a car driving northbound. He told police he swerved to avoid an animal in the roadway.

The driver was wearing his seatbelt and the side airbags activated preventing serious injuries, said Assistant Chief Larry Conklin. He suffered minor scrapes and bruises and did not require transport to the hospital.

Posted 08/30/07 at 12:00 PM  Permalink

Comments

Seatbelts are truly wonderful.  How did we ever go so long without them (back in the dinosaur days)?  I will confess, they saved me and a passenger serious injury, enabling us to walk away from a most unpleasant driving experience.  I am glad that neither this driver nor anyone else (or the deer) was hurt.

Posted by Judy Starr on August 30, 2007 at 03:23 PM | #

This is the second “crash because I swerved to avoid an animal” story here in some months.

The moral remains: Don’t swerve.

Posted by Jeff Kiker on August 30, 2007 at 03:42 PM | #

I think that it’s counter-reflexive not to swerve.  But even if it’s not, I don’t think anyone wants to hit an animal.  There may be times when it is unavoidable, but it would seem best to minimize such instances.  Of course, if you have to choose between hurting people and hurting an animal you have a moral choice and probably not much time to make it.  And hitting a large animal (I’ve been told) can be a serious collision.
So maybe not swerving if it means hitting another vehicle makes good sense, but I don’t think I can ever agree with not trying to avoid an animal if you can, or at least think you can.
Anyway, this is another instance where seat belts have prevented serious injury.
Safe driving and a good weekend to all!

Posted by Judy Starr on August 31, 2007 at 02:15 PM | #

Swerving = live animal and potentially dead person.
Not swerving = live person and dead animal.

That’s a pretty easy decision to make.

Posted by Jeff Kiker on August 31, 2007 at 04:49 PM | #

Sometimes, yes, I think that’s absolutely right.  It’s the in-between times that I’m talking about.  I just don’t feel right about unconditionally saying I’d never try to avoid an animal on the road.  Plus, if someone hits, say, a deer and their car is not able to get out of the way of another car that can’t stop in time and hits them…..well, I don’t feel there’s always an easy answer.  As you suggest, though, it is the driver’s call; different people will see it different ways.

Posted by Judy Starr on August 31, 2007 at 11:23 PM | #