Saturday, August 16, 2003
Oops: NY Times Erroneously Reports Westport Fire Fatality During Blackout
Readers of today’s New York Times were erroneously told Westport suffered a fire fatality during this week’s blackout.
In a roundup of fire activities during the outage, the Times said: “In Westport, Conn., a woman died and her husband and child were badly burned in a blaze that fire officials attributed to a candle left burning during the blackout, The Waterbury Republican-American reported today, according to The Associated Press.”
Despite the careful attribution, neither The AP nor the Waterbury newspaper reported on a Westport fatality. The fire occurred in Waterbury. There were no fires in Westport during the blackout.
Posted 08/16/03 at 11:46 AM Permalink