Westport Country Playhouse presents ROMEO & JULIET, October 31-November 19
Quick Center: Compagnie Hervé Koubi in What the Day Owes to the Night Breathtaking, gravity-defying dance that transcends. Thursday  October 19  2017 8:00 P.M.

Saturday, February 28, 2004

Martha Stewart: “I am Hopeful and Optimistic I Will be Exonerated”

Westport’s Martha Stewart, fresh from a courtroom victory, says she is pleased the judge has dismissed the most serious charge against her and is optimistic she will exonerated.

Stewart, who has maintained silence through her federal court trial in Manhattan, posted her remarks on her www. marthatalks.com Web site.

“As my trial nears its conclusion, I am hopeful and optimistic that I will be exonerated and able once again to devote my full attention to developing and promoting the creative home keeping ideas that so many loyal customers and supporters have come to rely on for inspiration in their own kitchens, gardens and craft rooms,” she said.

“I’m pleased that the judge has dismissed the most serious of the charges against me, concluding that there is no evidence to support it.”

The Web site pointed to the full text of the ruling Friday by Judge Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum dismissing the securities fraud against her.

Stewart added: “As part of my promise to keep you informed about key developments, my attorneys and I will continue to do our best to post relevant op-eds and items from the trial—including the closing argument on my behalf scheduled for Tuesday, March 2—as soon as they become available.”

In her decision, Cedarbaum wrote: “I have concluded that no reasonable juror can find beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant lied for the purpose of influencing the market for the securities of her company.”

Stewart still faces four criminal counts at the trial - conspiracy, obstruction of justice and two counts of lying to investigators. The judge declined to throw out any of the five counts against broker Peter Bacanovic.

The securities fraud count carried a potential prison sentence of 10 years and a $1 million fine.

The remaining four counts against Stewart each carry a sentence of five years and a $250,000 fine, though a conviction would carry a far lighter penalty under federal sentencing guidelines.

Closing arguments in the trial are scheduled to begin Monday and last well into Tuesday. The jury is expected to receive its instructions and begin deliberating on Wednesday.

Stewart’s lawyers still must convince the jury that she was not lying to investigators when she told them in 2002 that she had no memory of being tipped that her friend Sam Waksal was selling his ImClone shares.

Posted 02/28/04 at 01:11 PM  Permalink

Comments

This is just another example of American In-Justice.

I often watch American (I am a Canadian) trial shows and I am appalled at the injustice and bias that is heaped on people just because they are famous or rich.

Shame on you.

Posted by David Clark on February 28, 2004 at 05:06 PM | #

I am tired of this show trial against Martha Stewart and am glad to see the most serious charge against her dropped. I hope that the jury sees the remaining charges as what they are: an attempt to bring down a successful woman just because she is successful. The U.S. government should be ashamed.

Posted by Celia Sgroi on February 28, 2004 at 06:54 PM | #

A sad day in American justice when you have prosecutors who want to make a name for themselves by going after an Icon who made her money the old fashioned way-she earned it!  Government attorneys should be barred from running for public office ten years after they grab cheap headlines to further their political careers at the expense of going after the real criminal types like, Kenny ‘Boy’ Lay.

Posted by Gary H. Holbrook on February 28, 2004 at 10:49 PM | #

I hope Martha is exonerated and all charges are dismissed against her.  She is one of the most accomplished and intelligent women in the U.S. I think someone just wanted to get back at Martha and this was an ugly way to do it.  Keep smiling Martha, we love you!

Posted by Brenda DeLotell on February 29, 2004 at 01:44 AM | #

Thank goodness this nonsense is almost over. It was obvious from day 1 Martha was being framed. It’s amazing what jealousy will lead to. Good luck Martha!

Posted by Jon on February 29, 2004 at 05:59 AM | #

After Martha is acquitted by the jury in this bogus case, shouldn’t the government be required to reimburse her for her loses and make a public apology for trying to ruin her reputation?  Just a thought…...  Hang in there Martha, it’s almost over.

Posted by Jan Erickson on February 29, 2004 at 08:32 AM | #

Martha will rise above this persecution and be stronger and more successful than ever.

Posted by Linda Smith on February 29, 2004 at 01:02 PM | #

Martha Stewart is a strong and brilliant woman, an icon of American strength and brilliance. These trials will not extinguish the light she has cast upon the world as an example of talent and extratordinary creativity.

She will emerge from these trials with strong resolve….....to continue as an example to all.

Posted by Simmy Sussman on February 29, 2004 at 10:01 PM | #

She is still a BITCH

Posted by A Westporter on March 01, 2004 at 02:00 AM | #

To the coward who signed a westporter.The real bitch is you.

Posted by Linda Smith on March 07, 2004 at 05:01 PM | #

To the coward who signed a westporter.The real bitch is you.

Posted by Linda Smith on March 07, 2004 at 05:01 PM | #