Thursday, April 29, 2004
Westport firefighters quickly doused a fire at a Compo Parkway home Wednesday night that fire officials said was touched off by a bird’s nest near an outside light fixture.
Westport firefighters battle a blaze on the second floor of a Compo Parkway home Wednesday night. WestportNow.com photo
No one was injured in the blaze which damaged a small portion of the second floor exterior of the two-story home at 5 Compo Parkway.
A father and three children in the house at the time escaped unharmed.
The man told fire officials that he was on the second floor when he smelled smoke after an exterior light was activated.
He went outside to investigate and spotted flames. He then led his children outside and dialed 911.
Arriving firefighters reported flames coming from around a second floor window.
Fire Chief Denis McCarthy, who was on the scene, said cause of the appeared to be “excessive heat buildup” on an outside light fixture caused by a bird’s nest.
Fire Marshal Fred Baker, who was also on the scene, said bird’s nests on light fixtures have been known to cause fires in the past. He urged homeowners to check to make sure outside lights are free and clear of any obstruction.
The fire was reported at 8:38 p.m. and the last unit left about three hours later.
Assistant Chief Jonathan Gottfried subsequently reported that “the Fire Marshall’s office determined that a bird’s nest in close proximity to the exterior light fixture was first ignited when the light was illuminated.”
He said the fire then spread to the exterior wood siding and roof system.
He said the home sustained minor smoke damage to the second floor and damage to a section of the roof, exterior siding and adjacent exterior trimmings.
Fairfied sent an engine company to cover Westport while 26 on-duty, off-duty and volunteer firefighters responded to the blaze.
Posted 04/29/04 at 03:10 AM Permalink
CommentsYou must have a Facebook account and be logged to this account (login/logout button above) to post comments. Comments are subject to our Comment Policy.
Another great save by the Westport Fire Department! I suspect, given the time of night had a lot to do with the fire being detected, which contributed to the fire being exstinguished quickley.
Had the fire started later in the evening, it probably would have been farther along before being detected. This would have put the occupants in further jeapordy and made the job for the firefighters harder. The current manning levels of on duty firefighters would only amplify the situation.