By James Lomuscio
The Town of Westport today reissued an RFP (request for proposals) for a developer to design, construct and operate a senior residential community on 22.7 town-owned acres known as Baron’s South.
The request, published on the town website, is the second go around for bidders and asks those who previously bid to reapply, says Richard Kotchko, the town’s purchasing agent.
Changes in the new RFP were made by the Baron’s South Committee based on Board of Finance concerns. Major changes include increasing the number of rental units from 99 to 150, possibly 200, and decreasing the number of affordable units from 60 percent to 30, possibly as low as 20 percent.
“Preference will be given to proposals that provide for at least 30 percent of the dwelling units to be rented at or below prices which will preserve the units as housing for persons and families who are compliant with the standards and limitations of Connecticut General Statutes Section 8-30 g,” the RFP states.
It continues that proposals with an affordability ratio as low as 20 percent “will be considered.”
The RFP also states that while preference will also be given to proposals of no more than 150 units, proposals for a facility with up to 200 will be considered
The 10-page RFP points out that no more than eight acres of the parcel are to be developed.
In addition, its states that a Continuing Care Residential Community (CCRC) not be included. First Selectman Gordon Joseloff, for whom the housing facility has been a key initiative, has derided CCRCs as “big business that does not belong on town property.”
Bidders have until Friday, March 1, 2013 at 4 p.m. to submit their proposals.
An information session open to all interested parties will be held by the Baron’s South Committee on Tuesday, Jan. 15 at 10 a.m. at Westport Town Hall, Room 309.
Kotchko said Interested parties are encouraged to attend the information session prior to submitting their proposals.