Westport Young Woman's League CraftWestport, November 8-9, Staples High School
Leslie Clarke Homes, your real estate solution, Westport, CT 203-984-1856Halloween Parade October 29, 2014, 3:30 p.m., Main St. & Post Road East
Molly Lane, Exceptional Properties Specialist: Fairfield County Homes, 917-670-4842

Sunday, October 26, 2014
News

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

RTM Veteran John Booth Resigns Due to Health

John W. Booth, a senior member of Westport’s Representative Town Meeting (RTM), announced his resignation tonight. He had served since 1993.WestportNow.com Image
John W. Booth: Served since 1993. WN file photo

In a message read by Moderator Hadley Rose, Booth said: “Tonight is my last meeting. This is principally because with the onset of Parkinson’s disease, I can’t be as dependable in my presence at RTM and committee meetings.”

Rose said he “was obviously disheartened that John could not make it anymore.” He added:  “I understand his reasons why. John was, frankly for me, kind of a mentor when I first arrived on the RTM.”

The 76-year-old Booth, who represented District 5 in the Greens Farms area, was a longtime chair of the legislative body’s Finance Committee. Under the town’s charter, fellow district representatives will select a successor to fill out Booth’s term, which expires in November.

Posted 01/07 at 02:19 AM

The RTM owes you much more then one can imagine. Thank you for serving our town and teaching so many, so much. I will miss seeing you at our meetings and never forget your common sense attitude. Thank you for teaching me so much of what I know today. You have been a mentor to us all…Be well my friend….Stephen Rubin, RTM District 7.

Posted by Stephen Rubin on January 07, 2009 at 04:07 AM | #

SECOND !!!

Thanks John ... Sean

Posted by Sean Timmins on January 07, 2009 at 04:30 AM | #

Wish you all the best, and thank you for all your years of community service neighbor.

Best regards, John

Posted by John Raho on January 07, 2009 at 05:21 AM | #

John,

All the best and thanks for the service to our community.

Sean, cute! For those reading this. John was always the fastest gun in seconding a motion. John, your “second” will be missed.

Posted by Matthew Mandell on January 07, 2009 at 05:16 PM | #

John…

So sad to learn last night that you will be resigning from the RTM. I wish you good health and many more wonderful times. You have been a mentor to so many of us, you showed us by example the true functioning of a non partisan body. Your expertise at evaluating complex financial requests and your willingness to not force your views on others…helped many of us learn how to run a committee meeting….on a personal note…many thanks for all the times you came through when i was the scheduler of the invocations…i would always save you…and after several calls when some had a myriad of excuses ...you always came though….and always had something meaningful to say..so hopefully…you will continue to give us your good counsel…and bless us with your presence..

Lisa

Posted by Lisa S Rome on January 07, 2009 at 09:14 PM | #

John took me under his wing when I was elected to serve in the RTM in 2001, and was put on the finance study committee It was not unusual, as others have mentioned, he was a mentor to many new RTMers.  From him I learned that a Chairperson needs to be above the fray and to allow all members to say their piece.  He was tough when he had to be, but always cordial.  He has been a source of knowledge and a calming influence on scores of RTMers.  I know he’ll be watching the proceedings at home with a watchful eye.

Best wishes in your retirement, John.

Charlie Haberstroh

Posted by Charlie Haberstroh on January 08, 2009 at 12:05 AM | #

John, you have been such a part of the RTM for me.  It won’t be the same without you at committee meetings; without your warm greeting at the start of every session; without your “calling the question” as debate wears on to all hours; and, without your seconding the motion at a speed second to none.

Thank you for all that you have done for the town and for the RTM, for being there for me and for us all.  Please come back and visit, soon.  Keep us on our toes.  Remind us to second the motion, keep debate crisp, and get to the core of the question.

Best Wishes Always,
Judy

Posted by Judy Starr on January 09, 2009 at 03:48 AM | #

You must be logged in to comment. You must also answer the question or solve the equation below:

What is missing: North, South, East, ----? (4 character(s) required)

SPONSORS
Earthplace After-school Enrichment Program for Elementary School Children
Visiting Nurse and Hospice of Fairfield County, Connecticut

HOUSE OF THE WEEK

15 Stoneboat Road, Westport, CT, Jillian Klaff Homes

Click the photo for
more info about
15 Stoneboat Road, Westport, CT

jillianklaffhomes.com

Christ & Holy Trinity Preschool is now accepting applications for the 2015-16 school year.

The Westport Arts Advisory Committee (WAAC) is sponsoring its first "TEA Talk" (Thinkers, Educators, Artists) on Sunday October 26, 2014 at 2 p.m. in the Westport Town Hall Auditorium.

WestportNow Year in Pictures 2013 Give to Public Schools in Need! - Go to DonorsChoose.org
WestportNow.com Stuff