Wednesday, November 14, 2012
Firefighters Extinguish Commercial Dryer Fire
Westport firefighters today put out a fire traced to towels in a commercial dryer at the Washing Well in Parker-Harding Plaza, according to Deputy Chief Robert Kepchar.
He said at 8:27 a.m., firefighters responded to check the fire alarm at 139 Main St. Upon arrival, they discovered smoke coming from the crawl space in the rear of the unit.
The call was upgraded to a smoke condition in the building with additional apparatus responding, Kepchar said.
The source of the smoke was traced to a commercial dryer fire involving burning towels in the Washing Well at 140 Parker Harding Plaza, which was on the opposite side of the structure, he said.
Firefighters overhauled the remains of the towels, and Fire Marshal Ed Zygmant responded to conduct the fire investigation, he said. The last fire unit left the scene at 9:05 a.m.
Comments: Comment PolicyNo comments yet.
Next entry: Attending Post-Election LWV Coffee
Previous entry: Two Cars Strike Coyote on Merritt, Drivers Unhurt
Note: WestportNow Publisher Gordon F. Joseloff is also First Selectman of Westport