Westport Young Woman's League CraftWestport, November 4-5, Staples High School
Quick Center at Fairfield University

Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Captured

UPDATE Murder suspect Thomas W. Gardner is taken into custody late today at Westport’s Playhouse Square shopping complex after a massive manhunt following a high speed pursuit earlier in the day. He was arrested without incident after a store employee called police to say he was spotted walking by. He had hid out for almost five hours undetected in a ceiling crawl space of the soon to be post office in the shopping center after breaking through a skylight. He emerged only after construction workers there left for the day, according to police. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) WestportNow.com photo, ©2011 WestportNow.com

Posted 11/09/11 at 10:08 PM

Comments

Comment Policy

Murder?  What about what he did to that Bentley?!!

Posted by Eric Wright on November 09, 2011 at 11:34 PM | #

Not to worry Eric, it should buff right out…

Posted by Paul S Greenberg on November 09, 2011 at 11:54 PM | #

Good news.  I’m glad the Westport police got their man.  It was really something seeing all the police entering the park.  It looked serious and it was.

Posted by Irene Kniffin on November 10, 2011 at 12:10 AM | #

Great work WPD!

Posted by John Harder on November 10, 2011 at 04:27 AM | #

I’m glad that he’s captured. But I wonder why it took almost 5 hours for police and dogs to find him. He left the car at the Playhouse and was caught at the Playhouse Square, which is pretty close. Did he have red herring or something? Or did he happen to hide in a difficult-to-find location? If so, where?

Posted by Hiroshi Asada on November 10, 2011 at 04:44 AM | #

Mr. Asada, read the update.  He was in fact hiding in the ceiling of a locked building after going in through the roof.  Instead of Monday morning quarter-backing the police, who did a great job in this situation, be thankful that they caught him before he caused any of us grief like he already allegedly caused someone else’s family in MA. I’m glad that they had the stamina to keep looking for 5 hours.  You shouldve seen it, the police were all over the place, hiking through woods and everything. Any time you think you could do better, go sign up to be a cop.  Great job WPD!  Kudos!

Posted by Liz Benton on November 10, 2011 at 03:31 PM | #

Well said, Liz.  Reading’s always a great idea before opening one’s mouth.

As you said, WPD were all over the place looking for this guy.  He wasn’t going to get away, that’s for sure!

Awesome job!!

Posted by Jean Marie Wiesen on November 10, 2011 at 04:05 PM | #

If my comment offended anyone, that was not my intention. There’s no question WPD did a great job. I have a faith in them and am proud of the fact that one of our family members is a volunteer at WPD.  The location information was added after I posted my comment. But, without that information, wondering why it took that much time is not unreasonable. I’m sure any journalist for example would ask that question.  And perhaps someone asked that question to the police and updated the news sometime after I raised that point.  Plus I’m sure there are people who wondered how/why he was able to hide for so long in that area.

Posted by Hiroshi Asada on November 10, 2011 at 05:41 PM | #

I didn’t read anything negative in Mr. Asada’s comment.  I thought he was simply curious as to the process and wanted to know exactly how the guy eluded them.  Just general curiosity, no criticism.

Its very difficult, if not impossible, to convey tone in the written word.  Lighten up a little bit ladies.

And great job WPD.

Posted by Nick Blaikie on November 10, 2011 at 06:33 PM | #

Conveying tone in the written word is fairly easy, actually, Nick.  Writer’s do it every day.

As to wanting to know how the guy hid, read what’s written.  That’s really all there is to it.  Nothing mysterious about it.

It was a fast moving story and info was provided as it went along.  That’s why “update” is next to the photo.  It’s not an implication, it means what it says.  If you want to follow along w/ the story, keep watching for updates, which are continuously posted.

Amazing job by all members of the WPD involved w/ this as well as members of FPD, too.

Posted by Jean Marie Wiesen on November 11, 2011 at 01:44 AM | #

Ouch.

Jean,

Thanks for letting us know what ‘update’ means (did you get my tone there?).

Mr. Asada’s question was a reasonable one at the time he posted it.  Lots of people were wondering where the guy was for 5 hours.  To then find out that he was 100 yards from the command center the entire time was something that begged for an explanation.  No criticism of the police, just curiosity.  End of story.

If you need to be right about something though, there certainly is no mistaking what you meant in the obnoxious and sarcastic comment above.  Consider your tone conveyed.  Congratulations.

Posted by Nick Blaikie on November 11, 2011 at 04:14 AM | #

Thanks, Nick!  Yeah, I’m fairly competent when it comes to reading/comprehension skills.  Get my tone :)

There should be no criticism of the WPD, whatsoever, unless of course you, yourself can do a better job.

This isn’t a question of being right or wrong, it’s simply the ability of following a story w/ no sarcasm involved.  Apparently, you’re reading what’s not written, but what you’d like to “see.”  Probably, what’s in your mind, as in the eyes of the beholder.

The story said the guy was in a crawl space above the new post office.  Why is that so difficult to imagine?  The entire area was cordoned off, so it’s not as if the suspect was going anywhere.  He was going to eventually be caught, which he was.  Again, no mystery, no sarcasm and as you so aptly said; end of story.

Posted by Jean Marie Wiesen on November 11, 2011 at 04:32 AM | #

Jean,  based on your comment above, I’m not sure that your comprehension skills are that good after all.

For the THIRD time - neither Mr. Asada or myself was criticizing the police.  A fact both of us have stated pretty clearly.

That the fugitive was hiding in a crawl space was not known until AFTER Mr. Asada posed his question. Is it difficult to imagine? Um…no, but did anyone say that it was?  Besides you?

Is it wrong - in your mind - for someone to wonder what is happening or happened in a specific instance and then ask a question?  Mr. Asada was anxious to find out details, as were quite a few of us that we’re following along. For some reason, that was wrong according to you.

I’m reading what’s not written? I don’t even know what that means.

Posted by Nick Blaikie on November 11, 2011 at 08:58 PM | #

Mr. Blaikie,

Thank you.  I appreciate that at least one person understands where I was coming from.

Posted by Hiroshi Asada on November 11, 2011 at 09:09 PM | #

“Why you feel the need to condescend to and deride people who are just making comments and asking questions about a local story, I have no idea.”

Funny, Nick, I was going to ask you the same thing.  Interesting behavior from some guy hiding behind a keyboard.

It’s not terribly difficult; the story is what it is and answered the questions of the curious.  It was a matter of reading as it went along.  That was all.

There’s nothing more to be read into it, except that you seem to want to carry this on for some bizarre reason.

It was updated to keep all of us informed, kind of what news is supposed to do.

Posted by Jean Marie Wiesen on November 12, 2011 at 05:28 AM | #

You do realize that my real name is posted at the end of everything I write don’t you?  Not exactly hiding behind a keyboard.  Yet one more head-scratching statement from you.

If it’s just me wanting to ‘carry this on’ then why do you continue to comment?  Stop.  I’m just responding to your nutty statements.  As a general rule of thumb, I don’t argue with people like you, but unfortunately I didn’t realize what I was dealing with until I was already deeply into it.   Your logic(?) throughout this entire discussion has been a crazy series of nonsensical non-sequiturs.

Although Mr. Asada and I have repeatedly explained it,  you still don’t seem to be able to grasp why and when he asked the questions in the first place.  You can continue commenting on this if you like but I’m done now.

And Mr. Asada, you’re welcome but really it was not a big deal.  You were unfairly criticized and I just wanted to point that out.

Posted by Nick Blaikie on November 12, 2011 at 10:25 PM | #

Last missive, nick. Obviously, you’re using your real name as am I.  I’m not stupid enough to believe you’re borrowing your neighbor’s name.

Apparently, you don’t recognize a metaphor when you see one.  Hiding behind a keyboard, means you more than likely would not speak to me, in person the way you are in this forum.  Although, after your last post, I seriously doubt this is true.

This is simply a reading of an article and nothing more; not even an argument.

Do have a lovely evening.

Posted by Jean Marie Wiesen on November 13, 2011 at 01:31 AM | #