Bross Chingas Bross Real Estate, Riverside Realty, #1 in 2013
Support Westport Country PlayhouseHappy Holidays from the Westport Downtown Merchants Association
Molly Lane, Exceptional Properties Specialist: Fairfield County Homes, 917-670-4842

Monday, December 22, 2014
News

Friday, June 27, 2014

Two Escape Serious Injury in Head-On Canal Street Crash

A Fairfield woman and a Wilton woman escaped serious injury today in a two-car head-on crash on Westport’s Canal Street near Main Street. Witnesses said one of the cars crossed the yellow double line and crashed into the other. Air bags deployed in both vehicles, which had to be towed from the scene. Both women reported no serious injuries, although the Fairfield woman complained of a bruised arm. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Dave Matlow for WestportNow.com

Posted 06/27 at 05:25 PM

Probably someone was texting

Posted by Mark Molesworth on June 27, 2014 at 05:07 PM | #

Were you there or reviewed the police report to come to that conclusion? It’s possible the driver might have swerved to avoid a pet/animal or something similar?

Posted by Matt Murray on June 27, 2014 at 05:51 PM | #

I see people driving and texting all the time in Westport. The bruised arm may have been a result of having her arm up texting or simply talking on the phone. Would you swerve into a head-on collision to avoid an animal/pet?

Posted by Mark Molesworth on June 27, 2014 at 10:59 PM | #

But did you personally witness this accident and if so did you see the driver texting? If not, I think the “innocent until proven guilty” might apply.

Posted by Matt Murray on June 27, 2014 at 11:03 PM | #

I would bet money that Mark’s assumptions are correct. We are only speculating, but speculating with high probability. Texting while driving is an epidemic.  I would be thrilled if the investigation proves otherwise, but my suspicions are the same as Mark’s.

Posted by Andrew Weir on June 28, 2014 at 01:10 AM | #

Perhaps the person was eating a sandwich, or had a dog in their lap. I know we’ve all seen that on our roads, too. Why not offer those as the cause? It could have been distracted driving, but until we have hard facts and information, speculations and suspicions are not being fair to the driver involved. Unless of course convictions based on what *might* have happened.

Posted by Matt Murray on June 28, 2014 at 02:04 AM | #

Matt I’m not judging the person or convicting them of a crime. I’m speculating that they were distracted by using a cell phone. You are correct though that a dog in the lap or a sandwich in the hand could have also been in play. I wouldn’t have thought of this. Thanks for pointing this out.

Posted by Mark Molesworth on June 28, 2014 at 05:34 AM | #

Hey guys lighten up.  Mark’s first comment strikes me as tongue in cheek. Matt always comments that until we know the facts we can’t speculate on the cause of an accident.  However, if I’m driving in my lane and an oncoming vehicle crosses the yellow lines to hit me head on, it’s obvious that that driver “caused” the accident whatever the reason was for his crossing the lines.

Posted by Edward Bloch on June 28, 2014 at 09:28 AM | #

Someone clearly has way too much time on their hands to be policing general observations/comments about a story.

Posted by Bob Chandler on June 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM | #

You must be logged in to comment. You must also answer the question or solve the equation below:

What is missing: North, South, East, ----? (4 character(s) required)