Wednesday, April 16, 2014
SPONSORS
Famous Artists School Creative Art Courses

News

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Latest Power Statistics

At 10:20 p.m. today, Connecticut Light & Power Company said 9,784 Westport customers were without power, or 79 percent of the town.

Posted 10/31 at 10:20 PM

Is it just me, or does this number seem to be increasing?

Posted by Jeff Gershowitz on October 31, 2012 at 01:19 PM | #

It’s pretty amazing that apparently not one person in Westport has had their service restored since Tuesday morning.

Posted by Jeff Kiker on October 31, 2012 at 02:15 PM | #

Town of Westport is doing a great job of managing the recovery phase. Just imagine months without power and access to clean water, while cleaning up mold in 90 degree heat (Katrina). We are fortunate to have been well-prepared, and now to have access to accurate and thorough information about power, clean up, water, etc.
If you have access to a radio, listen to 90.3 FM.
Don’t anyone even dare to complain!

Posted by Emily Hamilton Laux on October 31, 2012 at 04:29 PM | #

Having worked for the power company in a hurricane-prone area (south Florida), I definitely dare to complain about CL&P’s response to both last year’s storm and this year’s storm. It’s woefully inadequate and worthy of not only complaint, but sanction.

Posted by Jeff Kiker on October 31, 2012 at 04:44 PM | #

I called Govenor Malloys office today. Apparently it’s not their problem. They gave me another number to call. Why bother?  Connecticut light and power won’t give out any information.  Fairfield is almost fully restored and Westport still sits and waits and waits and waits….....

Posted by Marcy Puklin on October 31, 2012 at 05:38 PM | #

If Mr. Joseloff said this yesterday “I held a news conference at mid-afternoon today and said the the CL&P response left me appallingly disappointed. We did not have the multiple crews promised in advance and progress was unacceptably slow in clearing roadways.”  What is he saying today?  ZERO restoration progress.  In fact it seems to be going up (or stable at best) but no progress.  How is this even possible to have no one restored in what is now more than 36 hours since the storm ended?

Posted by Jon Fontane on October 31, 2012 at 06:09 PM | #

CL&P has once again misrepresented themselves to our elected officials and all of us! I hope the state utility commission takes some firm action with them after this is all over.

Maybe instead of spending millions in tree trimming and poll replacement, that money should go towards updating their system and putting wires underground!

Posted by Jim Howe on October 31, 2012 at 06:34 PM | #

DEFINITELY NOT defending CL&P here, but I just wanted to touch upon what Marcy said about Fairfield being “almost fully restored.” As of 645PM today, Fairfield still had >13,000 customers without power (~60% of town); Fairfield is also served by a different utility.

In addition, Sandy was an historic storm for our area. Whether or not CL&P has misrepresented their actions, which does seem to be the case, we were warned IN ADVANCE of the storm to be prepared for perhaps a week without power.

Believe me, I totallt understand(!) that it has been a difficult, frustrating - and at times frightening - 48 hours since Sandy, but it has been only ~48 hours.

Lets make sure we all work together to get Westport back on its feet as quickly as possible. In the meantime though, remember that patience is indeed a virtue.

All the best,
Sam.

Posted by Sam Sagnella on October 31, 2012 at 07:18 PM | #

I’ll be as happy as anyone to get power restored (although I would rather have my roof back than power at the moment). I am actually more concerned about how many roads are blocked off due to trees and downed wires. Cross Highway is still blocked between Main and North Compo, and North Compo is now blocked due to a dangerous tree, but that tree was leaning for nearly 48 hours before the road was blocked off.

We had about 10 neighbors using chain saws, hand saws and brooms work together to clean up our section of Cross Highway and make it passable yesterday - it was a great effort.  If somebody could just move the wires, even without restoring power, we could clear the trees and finish the job. I don’t want anyone to wait for an ambulance or fire engine to find a good route while CLP or the town are prioritizing their efforts. I’ll bet that other roads would be cleared by neighbors if they weren’t afraid of getting electrocuted.

Posted by Adrian Bowles on October 31, 2012 at 08:09 PM | #

Submit the word you see below:

SPONSORS
WestportNow.com Stuff
Register / Log in
Registration is required to post comments.
Register  •  Login