Westport property transfers as reported by the Town Clerk’s office for the period April 13 - 17, 2015:
115 Main Holdings LLC to Camapana 115 LLC, 111-117 Main St., $9,750,000
Roy N. and Natalie S. Levitt to Michal Keller-Benyaacov, 15 St John Place, $1,100,000
Violette Takahashi to Bluewater Mayflower LLC, 32 Mayflower Parkway, $935,000
Eric and Catherine Dean Lindstrom to Paul and Lisa Cozzi, 17 Loren Lane, $780,000
An application for a permit to demolish the house at Westport’s 4 Warnock Drive off Easton Road is in process. Built in 1956, the one-story split has 1,668-square feet, is situated on a 1.03-acre property and changed ownership last month for $425,000. Because the house was built more than 50 years ago, the application will be reviewed by the Westport Historic District Commission. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Dave Matlow for WestportNow.com
By Judy Szablak
While some may have considered increasing home sizes in Westport a relatively recent phenomenon, it is actually an evolution that began more than 60 years ago.
In the 1950s, an eight-room home was considered a large home. In the early 1970s, it was nine rooms. By 1975, it was 11 rooms.
Following the 1970s, there was a lull in expanded size that ended a decade later with 12 rooms considered large. By the 1990s, it was 13 and 14 rooms.
Today, a large home is considered 15 or more rooms. Of the 39 homes currently on the market in Westport of this size, two thirds were built in the last five years.
By Dave Matlow
The 1840s barn at the former Geiger’s Garden Center, 1135 Post Road East, is coming down piece-by-piece, much of it to be preserved in a process called deconstruction.
A landmark, family-owned business at the 2.5-acre property since 1953, Geiger’s has been sold to make way for redevelopment to include 12 housing units, including two affordable, as well as a bank in the front. It was WestportNow’s Teardown of the Day on Oct. 31, 2013.
Joe DeRisi, owner of Hamden-based Urban Miners, a deconstruction, salvage and reclaimed goods business, is performing the work.
“We expect the entire barn will be deconstructed and removed by May 5,” he said, adding, “We’re saving historic materials such as roof sheeting, rafters, timber frames and siding that would usually be destroyed in a demolition.”
Scenes from the deconstruction of the Geiger’s Barn, 1135 Post Road East, to make way for apartments, retail, and a bank.v Dave Matlow for WestportNow.com
SoulCycle opened for customers on Thursday at its new Westport location, 374 Post Road East in the Compo Acres Shopping Center, but today was the official opening and ribbon cutting. The popular exercise studio is in the former Jos. A. Bank clothiers location, which moved to Colonial Green. The SoulCycle website describes its activities this way: “SoulCycle doesn’t just change bodies, it changes lives. With inspirational instructors, candlelight, epic spaces, and rocking music, riders can let loose, clear their heads and empower themselves with strength that lasts beyond the studio walls.” (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Dave Matlow for WestportNow.com
Cutting the ribbon at today’s grand opening of SoulCycle, 374 Post Road East, were ((l-r) Ben Simpson, asssistant manager, First Selectman Jim Marpe, Ronnie Bencosme, studio manager, and Alyssa Wintergrass, assistant manager. According to Chase Delano, SoulCycle regional marketing manager, the Westport studio is its 41st location in the country and the second site in the state, having opened in Greenwich two years ago. She said there are no memberships—“it’s pay as you go but packages are available.” (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Dave Matlow for WestportNow.com
For at least the 15th time in 10 years, The New York Times again has featured Westport and its real estate doings, including its teardowns.
Sunday’s page one of the real estate section, available online here, features a Westport-datelined story headlined “In Fairfield, the Builders Are Back.” Fairfield refers to Fairfield County.
Written by Lisa Prevost, who has authored many of the previous Times real estate stories mentioning Westport, the story begins: “On a recent Sunday afternoon here, anyone visiting open houses might have thought the recession never happened.
“At one new multimillion-dollar colonial after another, real estate agents were eagerly waiting to show visitors high-ceilinged kitchens anchored by immense white-marble islands; fireplaces hefty enough to offset mega-size flat-screen TVs; exercise rooms with saunas and steam showers; and marble bathrooms with freestanding tubs and heated floors.
Walgreens,1870 Post Road East, in the Westport Plaza Shopping Center near the Fairfield line anchored by HomeGoods, closes on May 7, according to store signage. The assistant store manager said all employees will be relocated to other Walgreens stores. The company has another store at 880 Post Road East. Plans to move the 1870 Post Road East store to nearby Southport were thwarted by neighbor opposition. Rumors circulated that the store would be replaced by Michaels Stores, Inc., an arts and crafts retail chain, but this could not be confirmed. CLICK TO ENLARGE) Dave Matlow for WestportNow.com
Westport property transfers as reported by the Town Clerk’s office for the period April 6 - 10, 2015:
Stephen I. and Scilla Vincini to David and Michelle Nicole Sparks, 15 Loren Lane, $782,000
Paul G. Moss to Brien C. and Amy Jones, 12 River Oaks, $910,000
John M. Daut to Christopher and Zsoka McDonald, 11 Ledgemoor Lane, $1,875,000
Peggy A. Sawyer to Tomas Brothers LLC, 81 Old Hill Road, $640,000
An application for a permit to demolish the house at Westport’s 4 Oak St., off Clinton Avenue, is in process. Built in 1946, the 1 1/4-story cape has 1,349-square feet, is situated on a .27-acre property and last changed ownership, according to Town Assessor records, in November 2005 for $576,000. Because the house was built more than 50 years ago, the application will be reviewed by the Westport Historic District Commission. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Dave Matlow for WestportNow.com
An application for a permit to demolish the house at Westport’s 7 Keene Road, off Morningside Drive North, is in process. Built in 1955, the two-story colonial has 2,348-square feet and is situated on a .33-acre property. Because the house was built more than 50 years ago, the application will be reviewed by the Westport Historic District Commission. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Dave Matlow for WestportNow.com
UPDATES and CORRECTS As demolition of the Westport Weston Family YMCA Weeks Pavilion continued today (the swimming pool can seen at the center of this aerial view), David Waldman of Bedford Square Associates announced the first retail tenant for the relocated Kemper-Gunn House and said a lease is out for signature for a 40,000-square foot anchor tenant in the Bedford Square complex. The new tenant for Kemper-Gunn is Serena & Lily, which describes itself as “a home and lifestyle brand with a fresh, California point of view.” Westport will be its third location after San Francisco and the Hamptons. There was no announcement on the Bedford Square anchor tenant other than the lease is “out for signature for the historic Bedford Mansion and adjacent fire house.” (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Contributed photo
New renderings have been published online of Westport’s Bedford Square development, including this view of the project from Church Lane. There are also aerial videos of the demolition of the former Westport Weston Family YMCA here and here. One page of the Bedford Square website outlines changes made to the plans in response to feedback. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Contributed photo
An application for a permit to demolish the house at Westport’s 37 Spriteview Ave., off Harbor Road in the Saugatuck Shores section, is in process. Built in 1964, the one-story ranch has 2,073-square feet, is situated on a .22-acre property and changed ownership in November 2014 for $775,000. Because the house was built more than 50 years ago, the application will be reviewed by the Westport Historic District Commission. (CLICK TO ENLARGE) Dave Matlow for WestportNow.com